Need to Report an Increase in the gross weight for your truck? Here’s how!

Hello there truckers, we hope you are reading this article at high spirits. Well, over this article we are going to discuss on a common question that arises for a Trucker, That how do I report a change on the vehicle gross weight. Perhaps we claim that is even simpler than you can ever imagine.

Truckers are always staying busy over the road staying committed towards the nation’s needs. However they are required to E-File their HVUT Form 2290 every year to get past the vehicle registration process with the state Department of Motor Vehicle. Not only that, Form 2290 is mandatory even during license the purchase of vehicle license plate & tags.

HVUT Form 2290 is a Federal tax that is annually due every year. This tax Form is generally due by June and its payable until the end of August. However, this law is only applicable for annual renewals of this form. Else, Form 2290 must be filed on a Heavy Highway vehicle by the last day of the month following the month of its first use.

In order for a vehicle to be reported over the Form 2290, the vehicle must possess a minimum combined gross weight of 55000 lbs (The weight of the Tractor+ Trailer+ The maximum weight carried). This weight of a subjected Heavy Vehicle generally varies between the ranges of 55000 to 75000 lbs or above. Also, there is an additional $22 tax increase implied for an every increase of 1000 lbs.

Truckers, at times have a dilemma in selecting the maximum carrying weight due to the nature of work the vehicle is determined to perform. As when the nature of job varies so does the gross weight of the vehicle. Hence, you are always required to report the maximum carrying weight of the vehicle to stay on the safer zone. However, when you had mistakenly reported a less weight category, and when you needed it to increase, you must E- File a Form 2290 Amendment via to report an increase on the gross weight and to have the changes reflected over the copy of Schedule 1 which is digitally watermarked by the Internal Revenue Service.

Besides, you will only be able to report an increase on the gross weight but a Decrease is never possible; for which you must contact the IRS for more information. Reach us back for any further assistance over the following mediums:

Phone: (347) 515-2290 [Monday through Friday, 9 A.M to 5 P.M, Central Standard Time]


Live chat with our tax representatives.

Have a Good One! See you over the next article.