Greetings dear truckers! It’s once again time for an update regarding your taxes and renewals. It’s a busy start of the year after the IRS was on a long shut down until it resumed services. It’s time to remind you of some deadlines and renewals up ahead. January 31st, 2020 will be a deadline for paying your Form 2290 taxes for trucks purchased in the month of December 2019. Also, its time to renew your PTIN’s our dear tax preparers.
So The IRS recently started to accept applications for New PTIN registrations and renewals. The Preparer Tax Identification Number or PTIN needs to be obtained by anyone who prepares or assists in preparing a federal tax return for compensation. So where to renew or obtain a new PTIN, please visit the federal website https://rpr.irs.gov/. If going online is not an option, you may certainly download the form by following this link https://rpr.irs.gov/ and apply at your nearest IRS office. For tax preparers who already have a PTIN your PTIN has expired on December 31st, 2019 and it’s up for renewal.
For 2290 renewals it’s time to report vehicles purchased in the month of December before January 31st, 2020. Repot your vehicle under a prorated basis and get your schedule-1 copy for the tax year July 2019 through June 2020.
If this is the first time filing with us for your 2290’s here is a small walkthrough of how to file using our website.
- Visit www.truckdues.com, register and log into your account and start a new return
- Select your business, and check the box which says “2290 taxes”. Then select the tax year as July 2019 – June 2020 and select the first used months as January 2020
- Over the next page select taxable vehicle if you are going to operate the vehicle over 5000 miles else report your vehicle under suspended (exempt from tax) category
- Over the next page select “add vehicle” to enter the trucks VIN number and taxable gross weight (truck, trailer and max load it can haul).
- Proceed further to select the mode of payment to pay the taxes if your vehicle is taxable else you will be directed to the service fee payment page directly
- Once after paying the service fee click “Transmit to IRS” box to submit your form to the IRS and you would receive the schedule-1 copy within 15-30 minutes into your email
Our job of keeping you posted is done. Don’t rush up at the last moment. Hurry up! And complete your renewals and registration now! Keep going adios from us.