Guide for Filing Credit Vehicles Through

Christmas being round the corner, it’s upgrade time for truckers from old rigs to new business names. With 2015 dropping into our calendar in a while, our Tax Experts are answering lot of questions about transferring schedule 1 from previously filed truck to new ones, transitioning to a new business, a new business name but with the same truck or a different EIN altogether.

And there are set of truckers and owner operators sell or lose their respective trucks and decide to exit the transportation biz altogether. If you are leaving the business mid-tax year, you can get a part of your hard-earned HVUT money back. Keep reading to follow the procedures.

We have framed a guide to get you going with the scenarios. Let be a trade-in shuffle or changing your business or EIN, we will tell you how to get your schedule 1 copy sorted and get your money back, too.

“Transferring” a Vehicle (A-K-A: Credit Vehicles)

  • If you purchased a new truck mid-tax year, and your previous truck was sold, stolen, or destroyed, then you can get a new stamped Schedule 1 without paying extra tax. Many refer to this as “transferring,” but that’s not exactly how it works with the IRS.
  • Here’s why it’s not really a transfer per se. Schedule 1 once filed for a vehicle, cannot be transferred to the next. However, you can effectively file your HVUT and get a new stamped Schedule 1, without paying any extra tax.

And you might ask, why you do need file efile form 2290 for the new vehicle and add a credit vehicle for the same with the information of the previous vehicle.

  • When you are adding a credit for the vehicle, you will receive a prorated tax credit for the remaining months of the tax year through July 1st.
  • In addition, when you are efiling form 2290 with a credit vehicle, IRS would prorate the credit for the sold vehicle based on the first month of new vehicle. The first month is the month in which you purchased the new vehicle.
  • Usually, IRS prorates the tax on monthly basis not daily. And that means, if you have bought your vehicle at the beginning of the month, even on the very first day, IRS would charge you tax for the entire month, for the old one as well as for the new.
  • Do note form 2290 must be filed by the last day of the month followed by the month in, which the “transfer” has occurred. This means, if you have switched vehicles in the month of November, you need to file by December 31st 2014.
  • However, this transfer process (E-filing a 2290 with a credit vehicle) will only work if the business name and EIN remain the same. If they’re different, see the instructions below.

However, this is not the end. We have two more topics to discuss on, change of business name and sold, lost, or destroyed vehicle without replacement. We shall discuss the same in the next blog. Till then keep reading the previously pinned blogs and info on the site. Also, if you have taken your vehicle out for the first time in the month of November, then you are liable to file and report form 2290 online through by the end of December.

Meantime, if you have any questions or looking forward for assistance, feel free to ping, call or email our Tax Experts at or simply call to (347) 515 – 2290